Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fabric Purchases

If you read the first comment on my last blog post, you might be wondering what "next exciting event" Di mentions that is coming up. Well, it involves Celina and Tay...
...and their parents. Our Sydney, Australia family is moving to the US! I couldn't be happier, and I'm not the only one! (Note: I am very sad about no longer having a family tie/reason to spend time in Australia. Without a doubt, I have made some wonderful, dear Aussie friends.)

The fam will arrive on Tuesday, July 20, and for at least a week they'll stay with us as they adjust to the 15 hour time difference. How tough will that be for not-a-quite nine month-old child?! Then, I expect to be on Nana duty while mum spends the considerable time she'll need to shop and furnish a home - sofa, chairs, dining table, beds, dressers, and everything that's needed to outfit a kitchen. They'll live on the south side of Kansas City, Kansas, a short three-plus-hours away from us. Short, of course, compared to typical 24-28 hour trips Sydney!

Following the exciting event of their arrival will be another event... welcoming another baby boy into their family. Yep, Celina and Tay are getting a brother. For us it's grandson #3! Anticipating the need to sew yet one more baby boy quilt (This will be baby boy quilt #5 for me since March 2009!), while in Florida I went fabric shopping at Rainbow's End Quilt Shop in Dunedin. According to their advertising, they have 18,000 bolts of fabric. I don't think I'm being particular, but I sure couldn't find what I am looking for. Their boy fabric selections were too infant-ish, directional, or in pastel colors.

I did find this jumbo rick-rack that might go onto a boy quilt.
Since I couldn't find something for "Duke's" quilt (Initially hoping for a girl, the baby was referred to as "Daisy," so Duke's his pre-birth nickname for now.), I did a little shopping for myself. And why not?!

I've never been one to go for fabric collections because I think they can be too matchy-matchy. I prefer to challenge myself to put together different prints. Here are three pieces I'd like to combine in a skirt. From left to right they are: Wildwood by Free Spirit; Bijoux Mod Beads by Heather Bailey for Free Spirit; and Santorini by Lila Tueller for Moda.
And how do you like this retro palm tree print? It's Resort Palm by Michael Miller and I am already picturing it as pajamas.My real find were these two pieces, both so light a shade of green that you probably can't see it. The piece on top has a subtle bamboo design. I've been looking for lights like these to use as a background for embroidery work. Recently Carrie showed some similar piece she's using, and we agreed that super-light value prints like these are hard to find... and perfect for embroidery. See the Crabapple Hill BOM that Carrie's making with her pale green fabric.Until I find the perfect boy fabric - Duke isn't due until November 9 - I think I have a few other things that will keep me busy.

9 comments:

  1. How exciting Linda not only family all in the one country, but another grand baby. I'm guessing this will be a little brother for Celina and Tay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely good news post. Another grand child on the way, congratulations. Your fabrics are bright and happy and thank you for telling us about the Crabapple Hill stitcheries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you that they will be moving back, but I know what you mean about leaving all the friends you've made in Au. And I love the palm tree fabric...so fitting for you with the palm trees in your blog. Maybe you should get some pink flamingos to go with the palm trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome that your family is going to so much closer and congrats on the new baby coming.
    Glad you could find some perfect background fabric for your stitchery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such exciting news going on in your family! I know you'll miss the connection to Australia, but how great having them close. And congratulations on a new addition to the family. Plenty of time to work up a new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its all wonderful news for you - and you will be missed downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that part of your family will be so very close to you. That's going to be a ton of fun for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the great news is now public...How exciting for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, good news the family is moving back but a shame that your visits to Aussie and the new friends you have made will not be happening. Still those people will be friends forever.
    What a blessing to have another grandson on the way. hope you find the right quilt fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin